More often than not, custom homes are built for families. Kids are one of the biggest reasons to build a custom home. Keeping the kids in mind when designing your home can make parents’ lives much easier. When it comes to the design of your home, you’ll want to work with one of the homebuilders in NC who have experience and plenty of great ideas for building a kid-friendly home. Keep these tips in mind and discuss them with your builder.
- Plenty of storage. You can never have too much storage when you have kids. And that means every room. Obviously bedrooms and playrooms should have cabinets, shelves, and cubbies for clothes and toys, but don’t forget to put ample storage in bathrooms, the kitchen, and even outside in the garage or backyard. And more often than not you’ll want closed storage to keep the mess out of sight.
- Durable flooring. Floors in homes with kids receive the toughest traffic. One of the most durable floor materials available right now is vinyl. It is virtually indestructible and wipes up easily. It is also softer on feet and knees than hardwoods, laminate, tile, or stone. It also mimics hardwood, offering the same classic look with a different feel.
- Easy-to-clean paint. Gloss, semi-gloss, or eggshell paint wipes up much more easily than flat. As long as walls are professionally painted, a little shine won’t cramp your style.
- Kid-friendly bathrooms. One of the most important places to incorporate kid-friendly features is the bathroom. Consider floating vanities so that stools can be stored underneath. Install toilets with built-in toddler seats for potty-training. If kids will be sharing a bathroom, include multiple sinks so there aren’t battles over teeth brushing. Consider including a bathroom for every bedroom, which will come in handy during the teen years.
- Play spaces near main living areas. If you think your kids will be happy to play way off in a secluded playroom on a different floor of your home, think again. Young children naturally want to be near their parents and any other adult in the home. Incorporate play areas into your main living areas, such as the kitchen and living room. In kitchens, consider a kid-size counter for them to play, color, and pretend to cook with you (or actually cook with you once they are old enough). Build a small playroom right off the main living room where the toys can live while the rest of the living area can remain more adult-friendly.
- Outdoor play and safety features. Consider fencing in your yard for safety and privacy. If you include a deck, build in a safety railing and gate. Thinking about a pool? Safety features are more important with pools than any other outdoor recreational area. Be sure to install locking gates with alarms if you have young children.
The Top Homebuilders in NC, Such as R&K, Create Kid-Friendly Custom Homes
Looking for the best of all the custom homebuilders in NC who can create the ultimate kid-friendly home? R&K Custom Homes specializes in building homes for families with children of all ages. Whatever the ages of your children, you can plan for the future by building in features that will not only help now, but make life easier down the road. Talk to the experts at R&K Custom Homes about your kid-oriented needs. Call (336) 362-5225.