Building a custom home is a very rewarding experience, but it requires a lot of careful planning for a successful outcome. One of the most important steps in the process is choosing the right lot for your home. Most home builders in Greensboro have ready-to-build home sites reserved in new home neighborhoods. It’s just a matter of choosing the right one. Here are 4 tips to help you when you’re in the process of choosing a lot.
Consider the location within the neighborhood.
Before you even look at the lot itself, consider how it is situated within the neighborhood.
- Is it on a cul-de-sac? If so, you may have less traffic, a smaller front yard, and a bigger back yard.
- Is it a corner lot? You’ll likely have a bigger lot, but you’ll get traffic from two different streets.
- Is the lot in front of a T intersection? At night you’ll get headlights shining directly into your windows. It doesn’t have to be a deal-breaker, just consider putting bedrooms at the back of the house. Window treatments help too. Or avoid the lot and the hassle.
Evaluate the lay of the land/topography
The topography of a lot refers to the land and how it is shaped.
- Is it flat or sloping? Land can always be regraded, but it may cost extra to do so.
- How will the water runoff? Be sure there aren’t low spots where water may sit or run toward the foundation of the home.
- Are there trees or other vegetation? You may not have to remove any trees to build your home, but if so, the removal of trees can also cost extra.
Determine the style and size of the home you want before choosing a lot
Sit down with your builder and get a general idea of the design and size of the home you want to build. If you choose a lot that is too small to accommodate the home you want, you may have to compromise later. If you only want a one-story home and the land is sloped, you may end up with an additional level you didn’t want to make the home fit the land.
Think about your lifestyle now and in the future
Don’t build a home for your life as it is now if you know it may change. The only certainty in life is that life changes. Ask yourself these questions:
- Do you plan to have kids or more kids? If so, plan for a larger home and make sure your lot will accommodate the size.
- Do you intend to stay in this home as you age? If so, plan for easy accessibility, such as a one-story home with no stairs and choose a lot that suits the floor plan.
- Do you have aging parents that may eventually move in with you? If so, consider planning for an apartment-type space in the basement or over the garage, which may affect the size of your home’s footprint on the land.
Home Builders in Greensboro have Available Lots in Highly Desired Neighborhoods
Are you ready to look for a lot? Home Builders in Greensboro, R&K Custom Homes, can show you a variety of ready-to-build home sites to suit your needs in some of the newest up and coming neighborhoods. R&K will help you plan your home design and ensure you find a lot that will accommodate your wants and needs. Call (336) 643-3503 today to get started.